Saturday, March 2, 2019

Flourish Writers Conference

A free conference!

"I think I'll pass on that," said no one ever.


That includes me, too! Therefore, I jumped at the chance to watch the Flourish Writers Conference, a  six-day virtual conference, from right here in my house, on my laptop. I delighted in wearing my jammies and eating a pint of ice cream. While chillin' out (for a lack of better words) and feeding my sweet tooth, I got fed spiritually and mentally.

And I learned so much!

Below are the names of the featured authors and a little bit of what I learned from them. The lines in italics are the ones that are more personal to me

Joanna Weaver


  • Include outtakes of works in progress. They just might be used for future work.
  • Do it simple; get fancy later.
  • Do not fall in love with your words.
Havilah Cunnington
  • Everyone relates to pain.
  • What about the pain do you want people to know?
  • You don't need to be profound.
  • It's okay to be in a process.
Lucretia Berry
  • There is much freedom in self-publishing. Lucretia, you are my self-publishing soulmate.
  • Do not despise small beginnings.
Andi Cumbo-Floyd
  • Write for the joy of writing.
Renee Fisher

This is an example of brainstorming a story with sticky notes. The pictures below show the brainstorming I did for Kill the Locust, my next work in progress.

Need I say more?










Arabah Joy
  • Micro-writing is small chunks of writing, done in one sitting (eg. social media posts, journal entries, blog posts).
  • People have short attention spans.
  • I need to improve on this style of writing.
Tiara Cloud
  • Discover your "why".
  • In her book, Cracked Mirrors, people have been able to identify with the fiction parts of this book. I now feel more motivated to, as the voiceover for the introduction to these videos says, write the story inside of me.
Bonnie Gray
  • No matter what you write, point to hope.
  • Writing can be healing just as much for you as for your readers.
  • Nurture your soul. Exercise, listen to music.
  • Do artistic things that inspire you.
  • Spend time with people who encourage you.
  • Don't clean up your story.
Tisha Martin
  • "Insignificant dialogue" can kill the story sometimes. However, it is good for when the character is nervous.
  • Get rid of "overdressed dialogue," taking out adverbs and inserting character action. This is one of the things I am working on right now for Writing Soulmates.
Patrice Gopo
  • Essay (verb): to try to make sense of a personal experience
  • Journal (verb): a raw verbal dump on paper
  • Journaling is a pathway, a stepping stone, to an essay.
  • Since I have written in tons of journals, I think there may be an essayist in me. This avenue of writing has piqued my curiosity.
Katherine Reay
  • There are stories of victories and defeats behind every successful author.
  • Bleed on the page.
Mindy Kiker
  • Devotionals should be less than or equal to 1000 words.
  • Let the Scripture shine.
  • Make it a message of hope.
  • This is a form of micro-writing I'm now longing even more to start doing.
Kate Montaung
  • When making a writing platform, elevate God, not me.
  • Interact online and be a blessing to others.
Kaitlyn Bouchillon
  • I can't always hide behind writing.
  • What social media actions are draining me?
  • What form of social media do my readers frequent?
  • I should take a picture of some part of my book from time to time.
Lindsey Hartz
  • What kinds of readers am I trying to help?
  • Where do my readers hang out?
  • If I want to know them, they will find my passion.
  • Think of marketing while working on a book.
Shauna Letellier
  • No one cares about your book the way you do.
  • I plan to make more live videos.
  • I'd like to include a discussion guide at the end of my books.


No comments:

Post a Comment