Friday, May 29, 2020

I'm Not Going to Cry!

The late 80s-early 90s, the era of some of the best pop and rock music, a time when there was no Internet, and the best social networking was hanging out with friends at the mall. It was also an era of tear-jerker movies, such as Steel Magnolias, Fried Green Tomatoes...and Beaches.
The 40 Best Movies For Girls - Movies To Watch With Your Daughter

Beaches was one of the first movies that made me cry (the very first one was Ice Castles). That was 1988. Here I am, 32 years later staying home a lot during the pandemic. Not unlike most of you, I'm either streaming one movie after another or listening to songs on YouTube I hadn't heard since I had big hair.

I had recently gotten an Amazon Prime account and instantly fell in love with it. I was quickly amazed at the wide selection of available movies. As I scrolled through each category, my jaw dropping to the floor at the sight of long-forgotten 80s movies such as Vibes (bonus points to the first one who can guess who starred in that).

Then a random thought came to my mind: Do they have Beaches? The next question I asked myself was, am I going to cry while watching it? 

I wanted to challenge myself. No, a better way to put it is, I wanted to see if this movie elicited the same deep, forceful emotions when I first saw it, as well as the subsequent times I saw it on video.

Let me digress here for a moment. Over the past few years, I have had a dramatic change in friendships. There was one friend in particular also liked Beaches. We imagined each other as CC Bloom and Hillary Whitney. I will plead the fifth on which character I represented. I thought this was a beautiful thing to share; I loved finally having a friend! It was to where I couldn't hear Bette Midler's "Wind Beneath My Wings" without crying. Don't get me started on hearing it on the speaker at Montgomery Ward around 1996 and waiting on a customer. For the record, I kept it together.

Time and circumstances have a way of making me more jaded, cynical, and sometimes more objective about things. That people come and go in your life is part of character development. I still hear that beautiful hit ballad at the grocery store or in a waiting room at a doctor's office. The number of tears I cried: 0.

With that in mind, I thought while watching this movie, I'd be Stoic, s if I'm watching just another movie. I found Beaches on Amazon Prime and watched it this afternoon. I remained relatively emotionless throughout the whole movie. Then when the soundtrack started playing that familiar keyboard intro to Bette Midler's song at the end...


Do I need to say anything else?


By no means do I berate myself for crying during a movie I know the ending to. That I cried, albeit a little bit, shows this movie is still making an impact, even after over thirty years since it was a hit at theaters. So a big kudos to late director Garry Marshall for making a bigger hit of a movie than he realized. I only hope that long after I publish my books, those who read them will still laugh or cry.

What movies have you seen over and over that still make you cry? Is there a certain movie you and your best friend share as your favorite? Is there one with "all the glory" and another with "all the strain?"

Perhaps you're healing from losing a friend, whether by death or betrayal. How have you healed?

On a brighter note, would you like to challenge me to see if I'll cry when I watch Steel Magnolias or Terms of Endearment? Perhaps I'll make a web site like doesthedogdie.com and call it willfayecry.com


No comments:

Post a Comment