Monday, June 5, 2017

Dancing 'Cross the Pages

"Rain, play my song today.
No one wants to know me anyway.
Perfect lover, where are you?
I can't wait much more for you to come true?"

These are a few of the first lines from Heart's melancholy ballad, "Magazine."  I have known that song for thirty years now and have always liked it.  It wasn't until I started writing that I found the reason why not only Heart is my all-time favorite band, but the purpose of this song in my life. (Yes, to me, songs can have purposes.)

It rained this morning.  I was at work.  I couldn't concentrate.  If the last time it rained as hard as it had done today was anything to go by, I'd be able to leave early.  In fact, when this possibility sank in, I sang those words to that familiar classic Heart song.

After the great weekend I had had, at the Perry Stone Regional Conference, I was re-inspired, refreshed, and ready to go.  The only thing I wanted to do was write.  To have to wait until after dinner to do it would have almost been the death of me.  

I am still working very hard on finishing Professional Fans.  I am determined to get the first draft done sometime this month.  I believe this has been the most rewarding project I have ever done.  After reading many parts of it to family and friends, I have received great feedback about it.  They want to read more of it.  

The more I work on this, the less I like being away from it for a long period of time. Even one day would cause a noticeable separation anxiety.

It poured hard today!  What did that mean for me?  I got my wish:  To go home early and get to writing as soon as I could.

But there was a problem:  I couldn't think clearly due to the rain, I wasn't easily motivated. The first song I cued up once I got in front of my laptop...


Hearing that song on a rainy Monday morning never fails to get me in the right mindset to write. Playing this song, and drinking a little bit more of some sweet tea, I got to work.  It's now just after 8. As I put a bow on this post, and this day, I'm glad I can lay my head down on my pillow and know I accomplished a lot of writing today, took advantage of all of this time alone, and I have the passion for having my fingers dance 'cross the pages....of my own books.

No comments:

Post a Comment