Tuesday, June 27, 2017

How Do I Know I'm a Writer?

Three books into my author career (with a fourth one coming really soon), and I am just now figuring out what renders me as a dedicated writer.

Here they are:

  • I make sure to take my laptop with me every time I go out of town.
  • I have pens of various colors in my purse.
  • I have pads everywhere around my house and even in my purse.
  • Any spare time I have at home, and when my husband is busy with something at home, I write.
  • When I have to try hard to not say the name of one of my characters, who is a portrayal of the person I'm talking to.
  • When I hear autobiographical songs, such as "All Summer Long" by Kid Rock, and want to cry.
  • I bristle every time someone says to me, "That is something to put in your books."
  • Every other thing I talk about is my books.
  • In conversations, I talk about my characters as if they are real people.  I've done this a time or two.
  • I talk about something that had happened...only to find it was something I had written in my book, it didn't happen in real life.
  • When my husband sees a car on a car auction show, it's one that one of my characters drives, and he asks me about it.  I give him the character and what book it is from.
  • I quote things from my books in conversations.
  • I would see someone and maybe even talk with them.  They look the way one of my characters would, and I try not to tell them so, even if those characters were good ones.
  • Last but not least, when I consider my main characters my children.


No comments:

Post a Comment