Monday, August 24, 2026

A Wordy Report: A Flashback to 2009

 "I did the best de-cluttering job, ever." I've said this a lot this month.

Not sure what it was about this time that allowed me to dig even deeper into getting rid of things. In all the times I've done this, the biggest challenge has always been paperwork. You'd think in going paperless, I'd have a cleaner house. If this, for a lack of better words, "paper purging project" served no other purpose, it was to find something I'd written in 2009.

No, it wasn't the clumsy, awkward beginnings of a story. It was a detailed report I'd written to send to an attorney. 




We'd immediately sought litigation from a car accident I experienced in the summer of 2008. I fractured some parts of my left wrist, my dominant hand, and had to have a piece of hardware installed.

Before too long, the hardware hurt. That's a good sign, my wrist was fully healed, and I no longer needed it. Only, I couldn't have the surgery right away to remove it; I had to finalize the settlement. My attorney needed to know how much this pain interfered with everything I did--which was everything but writing. A lot of physical (sometimes emotional) labor as a physical therapy tech. 

What I say now about these statements: (1) hard to believe I went through this and (2) I sure am wordy. Had I written novels around that time, how could I have tightened these statements? 

Did I throw this away? No, I'll keep it. It's a reminder of what I've overcome, what my life was like before I became an author.

P.S. We settled this case in early 2010.

P. P. S. On the second page, I tightened some of the writing.



No comments:

Post a Comment