Friday, August 4, 2017

Decaf Books

A few weeks ago, I had to make an unexpected change to my diet.  I had to quit drinking caffeine due to a mild case of reflux.  Of course, my initial thought was, how am I going to write when I don't drink the liquid stimulant that allows me and many other writers to stay up late at night and think of great ideas?

For three weeks, I weaned myself off it.  During that time, I continued writing.  Guess what happened when I had less caffeine?  I was able to think better.  The ideas for my stories were coming easier to me.  I loved so much what was happening to me, it almost made me regret not having this happen when I was working on The Long Road Around the Corner of Hope or Crawling to the Light.

But then I had to remind myself this is a process.  I can only learn from it and move on and be better at this craft.

Secondly, it means my mind is getting clearer.  I couldn't help thinking of when I started on the second draft of Wise Turned Foolish.  I had just had a major surgery.  Two weeks later, I looked at it and noticed how disjointed everything was.  Though I was happy to write as an outlet for all of the pain I had had from endometriosis, I realized everything was so inconsistent and sometimes even repetitive.  I pretty much rewrote the whole story.

The same applies to my current work on Professional Fans and Twofold Love Comeback (formerly Two Suitors).  I've been busy decaffeinating them, making them clearer and have a better flow to them.

So much clearer I can think now because of not drinking any more caffeine, I can't get ideas on paper fast enough.  So if you need to talk to me, and I'm not available, I'm busy writing even better books.




No comments:

Post a Comment